CULTURAL HERITAGE

HISTORICAL CITY

Four empires, three kingdoms, three world religions

 

Jajce is one of the special Bosnian cities who tells about history. Numerous preserved material historical sources testify to rich historical events in this area. Jajce is a town of rich cultural heritage and of great tourist importance, and carries the status of open-air museum.

The natural beauty of the river Pliva with the waterfall, the Great and Small Pliva lake near the city, the surrounding forests that are rich in forests, healing herbs, beams, and meadows covered with different plant species, are truly magnificent.

FORTRESS

When you come to Jajce, the first thing you can see is the 13th-century fortress, situated on the town, medieval walls and old Bosnian houses.

The fortress dominates the city and it is the medieval guard of the town of Jajce. Within the fortress is a barutane, and the space itself is ideal for the maintenance of cultural and entertainment events.

Since 2018, the fortress has hosted “Days of Medieval” in Jajce.

SAINT LUKE’S TOWER

The church of St. Mary with the bell tower of St. Luke (during the Ottoman rule was converted into the Fethian mosque) is one of the most important historical monuments in Jajce.

St. Luke’s Belfry is one of the best preserved Gothic bell towers in this area, and at a height of 23.15 meters, it is truly impressive.

The Church of St. Mary is recognizable by the fact that in 1461, the last king of Bosnia, Stjepan Tomašević, was crowned by papal crown from Rome.

CATACOMBS

Mysterious catacombs are linked with numerous legends. They are under ground, carved into a rock, representing the temple and the underground tomb of the last Bosnian king.

Catacombs are located within the city walls. Powerful Duke Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić issued an order to expel the catacombs as the place of the last residence of the Vojvodina family Hrvatinić.

The space of the catacombs is divided into two floors, with the lowest point 9 meters below the ground.

It is interesting that, during World War II, Josip Broz Tito was in this area with his closest associates.

TEMPLE OF GOD MITER

The temple of the god Miter, hollowed out in the rock, is the oldest monument in Jajce and dates back to the 13th century.

I t was discovered by accident in 1939, and was protected. On the relief is a careless act of sacrifice (bull).

The sacrifice was offered to the invincible Indo-Iranian god of Sun Mitri, and his cult was spread across all provinces of the Roman Empire.

ESME SULTAN MOSQUE

The Esme Sultan mosque in Jajce is the most important monument of Islamic culture in this town.

The mosque was built in 1762 and is one of two mosques built by a woman.

According to the legend, Esma Sultanis, who was severely ill, was said to be recovering if she built a mosque at the point where one river was poured into the other.

The Sultanian chose Jajce, and the mosque was built only 150 meters from the famous waterfall, but unfortunately she was not healed.

THE MUSEUM OF SECOND AVNOJ SESSION

The Museum of Second AVNOJ Session in Jajce occupies a special place in the history of the city, but also in the former Yugoslavia.

On the 29 and 30 November 1943, the second session of AVNOJ was held in the building, which was then called Sokolski’s home. The foundations of the statehood of Yugoslavia were set in the session.

Ten years later, the building was transformed into a museum, which is also its present purpose.

In addition to the authentic settings from the Second Session, a gallery of museums is also possible to see the constant image of Božidar Jakac, and as well as an educational center.

The museum visits around 15,000 tourists annually.

AVNOJ Jajce

ETHNO MUSEUM

The Ethnographic Museum in Jajce is located in the building of a former elementary school, which was built during the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy.

The museum space is divided into three parts: the Bosnian room, the section with old objects and the sale area, and the museum is open for visitors all year round.

In addition, the mineralogical-petrographic collection is exhibited at the museum floor.